“The best I could be”. In 1958, I was born in Tehran, Capital city of Iran and on 4th of November 1976 after graduation from Kharazmi High School in Northern Tehran I started my journey to the United States of America, “The land of opportunities”.



1956 while my father Hashem Fouladi son of Abbas and Touba was serving in the Iranian army for his compulsory military duty his rank was Lutheran. In Iran as soon as a male citizen turns 18 years old he was subjected to compulsory military services. If you finished the ninth grade they will rank you as a Sergeant and if you finished twelveth grade they will rank you as a Lutheran. My father was the only person in his immediate family who completed high school.


My father was the first boy of three sons and one daughter of his parents. My grand father Abbas one of the first boys in Iran who learned to drive a bus and he had a tiny body and his weight never increased 50 kilograms. There was an article in a Tehran daily newspaper “Etelat or Keyhan”one day while Reza Shah was visiting the streets of Tehran with his entourage he saw a bus was running on the street without the driver. He asked his Deputy to stop the bus before the bus kills the civilians on the street. After they reached near the bus they saw my grand father was driving the bus and they brought him to Reza Shah. Reza Shah was very impressed that such a young Iranian boy driving a bus in early years development of Iran. Reza Shah was so impressed by grand pa driving bus that he asked him what he wishes as a gift for him. Grand pa Abbas was as smart as he was asked Reza Shah to forgive his compulsory military. Reza Shah replied “Okay, but every young Iranian boy must serve in the military”. But Reza Shah reduced my grand father’s military duty for just six months. So he can drive more and make money.


Grand pa Abbas was son of Haji Mohammad Taghie son of Mohammad Taghie Fouladi who was residing in the city of Ghazvin few hundred kilometers north of the capital city of Iran and closer to the Russian border and Caspian Sea. Mohammad Taghie was wearing a turban with small flower design known as “Kola-shekari” the sugary hat. Such turbans are mostly noticeable in the country of Oman in the Persian golf. While I was visiting on a business trip in Masqat capital city of Oman I noticed “Kola-Shekari” was a common use for business people in Oman. Mohammad Taghie was apparently importing steel from Russia to Iran that is why he under took the last name “Fouladi” in Persian meaning is steel products.


As the Pahlavie dynasty was helping the development of Iran along side with other Western nations Haji Mohammad Taghie Fouladi decided to move to Tehran and he immediately realize the potential of the transportation ability of moving passengers from cities to cities for business or pleasure visit by the newly invented motor vehicle. So he established “Garage Fouladi” Fouladi transportation center. He purchased his first American Chevrolet bus and for the good blessing of his religious belief he transported in his new bus full of passengers from Tehran to Mecca for the Hajj pilgrimage and that’s how Fouladi’s family flourished with dealing with the American cars, trucks, buses and also spare parts imported from USA.


Grand pa Abbas used to cruise on the street of Tehran with his brand new dark cherry color Study Backer in his youth. In that period he was very popular and he used to be friended with the most popular Iranian actresses and singers but he never abandoned his entrepreneurial business spirit.


Grand pa Abbas noticed that all the cars and trucks had six to eight pistons and each piston had multiple rings arounded them that move the piston in the engine shafts. He only specialized in those rings and he used to import them from the USA and he was the one of the few business men in Iran who had the knowledge what ring matches which piston for which cars, trucks or buses. Those rings used to ware out by use, so this critical part of the engine were high in demand specially the good quality made in the USA.


Abbas Fouladi did not speak a word of English but he had an English type writer. He knew the address of the ring manufacturer in the USA and he had a typical English letter with blank spots. Whenever he needed the rings he used to fill in the blanks and mailed the requested letter with the US dollars bank drafts to the USA and received the rings in the small packages. In a few years he made a fortune, purchased a large property in the affluent northern Tehran and established four homes for his four children in a sixteen thousand square feet plot.


Now let’s talk about my mother’s family. Her parents had four children, two boys and two girls. My mother’s family was from small village south of the Tehran. My grand father Taghie Rasouli married Zahrah. In his youth he worked for the Italian contractor in a city called Zaboul of impoverished providence of Zahedan in the border of Pakistan and Iran. There he made some small fortune and moved with his family from the small village to the downtown Tehran. Baba Taghie loved flowers and trees and plants. So he got himself a job as a gardener in the city park called “Park Shar”.


Baba Taghie and Mother Zahrah had a very modest and religious life and they bought a small house in the southern Tehran. Their other daughter Effat married to a carrier Iranian army officer Mr. Mahmood Enshayeian from the coastal city of Pahlavie in the Caspian Sea, whom studied military sciences with American and British officers in Iran and abroad. Amu (uncle) Mahmood an Iranian patriot, intellectual and gentleman was the one who introduced a good military culture to me is about.


Their youngest, twenty one years old son, Hussein traveled with my mom and my brother Farmarz to visit my mom’s sister Effat in the ancient city of Shiraz during the Persian New Year where Amu Mahmood was stationed. On that tragically ending trip, on the way coming back our car got involved in an accident and all of us were subjected to injury and my uncle Hussain died. This tragic incident affects my mother’s and my grand parents’ life and my family for many years.


My grand parents from my mother’s side had a very loving life. They visited Mecca twice for the Hajj pilgrimage. When my grand mother had Alzheimer and my grand father knew there was no cure for her and he saw his love of life was disappearing day by day. Once, calmly he said good bye to every body. He slept and past on in peace.


Click here to go back to the main page.

Click here to go to the book preview page.